Sunday, November 11, 2012

March 31 & April 1st  Florence/Kelvin Hwy TH to Picket Post Trailhead (about 40 miles, 6,000 feet of climbing)

This hike was one of the most stunning desert segments that I have done so far.  This newly completed segment runs along the Gila River, then makes a right turn and goes through some of the most spectacular desert canyon you can imagine.

Day one was the easier of the two days, mostly flat along the Gila River. It was a little warm that day (low 90's) so even though it was early, I decided to camp by the Gila before the trail heads north. The weather report said that it was going to cool down to the low 80's on the second day.   That was a good decision (see I am learning a little).


The second day starts with a 10 mile climb, great way to start the day!!!!  About half way up I ran into a Gila Monster.  He would not get out of the trail.  What you can't see from the picture is that this portion of the trail is on a severe hillside.  There were not a lot of options to get around him.  I had to climb up the slope and hope I didn't slip and fall since it would have been a few hundred feet down to the bottom of the canyon before I stopped.

I can't describe fully the spectacular scenery on this segment.  It is truly a wonder and a part of Arizona that most will never see.

View of the Gila River from the trail

Start of the climb on day two
I did cross paths with a man who was doing the trail as a through hike (all at one time).  His pack was huge and looked very heavy.  We talked for a while and he seemed to be enjoying himself.  I asked him if he was going to stay at a hotel in Superior (many through hikers will stay a night or two there to break up the trip).  He said, "no, I'm going all the way through with just what's on my back".  I'm truly amazed at these folks.  I've pretty much figured my limit is 4 nights and that is about as much tent sleeping as I can handle.  Maybe that will change by the end, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment