Sunday, November 11, 2012

March 14, 2012  Mt Elden, San Francisco Peaks (about 20 miles, 3500 feet of climb)

This hike started in east Flagstaff at Hwy 89 and goes up through the Peaks and I ended at the Snowbowl.  It has been a mild winter and there didn't appear to be a lot of snow, boy was I wrong.  Some of the trail sections on the north faces I was walking in 2 to 3 foot snow drifts.  I probably did about 3 miles total in snow like this, "post holing" up to my waist.  The sections where there wasn't any snow you could tell there hadn't been anyone on the trail since the fall.  (That shows that maybe I was a bit early doing this hike, duh)

For a one day hike, this was another tough one, seems like they all are.  The views were amazing though.  I'd love to do this hike again, only in the summer when there is no snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment